13 March 2007

Raccoo-oo-oon(s) and etc.



No, I'm not making a a stupid joke about an animal that's usually found in a garbage can. If I was going to do that, I certainly wouldn't put all the 'o's in there, let alone the dashes, because that wouldn't make any sense. Raccoo-oo-oon are an experimental band from Iowa. When I tell you that they're experimental, I don't think that they're experimental, I know that they are because I've never heard anything exactly like them. (And usually with so many bands out there, you tend to hear music exactly like other music. I know, it get's boring.) Agree with me or disagree with me, but I think Raccoo-oo-oon do a fine job at reminding me of what a raccoon might (I say might only because I've never actually heard a raccoon make a noise before..) sound like in the forest, in the middle of the night, ruffling through wet leaves, with a large raccoon-cult following. Think of them as you would a creepier Lightning Bolt, only with more organized arangements, less noise, and merged with Double Leopards. If you're familiar with those bands, I think I've just given you quite the perfect description of Raccoo-oo-oon. Behold Secret Kingdom, their first official release on Release the Bats comes out sometime later this spring (I think May).

From Behold Secret Kingdom:
MP3: Diamonds in the Dunes - Raccoo-oo-oon
MP3: Mirror Blanket - Raccoo-oo-oon




Now, from Raccoo-oo-oon, I'll move on to Midnight Movies, who almost remind me of Clinic, if Clinic were louder, more alt rock, more abstract, and around in the 1960's. On the other hand.. maybe they don't exactly remind of Clinic that much, but that's the first thing I thought of upon listening. Then I figured "Actually, Blonde Redhead seems like a better fit.." Midnight Movies are one of those bands that you can't quite put your finger on. I like them, and I don't. After hearing their sophomore album, Lion the Girl, I can tell you that while I wasn't entirely blown away, I was impressed by a few tracks: namely, Ribbons and Two Years, which I'm going to give you. They're both fuzzy, clouded, 90's-esque sort of tracks, and I like that. The lead lady's voice has something like a utopian effect similair to Cat Power's, which helps to cancel out the mediocre tracks on the album. Get Lion the Girl when it's out April 24th on New Line.

From Lion the Girl:
MP3: Ribbons - Midnight Movies
MP3: Two Years - Midnight Movies

-D

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous kamagra said...

Cool pictures, I love to take pictures of myself doing that kind of stuff.

8:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home