05 November 2007

Let us take a trip


Before Eric Clapton in Cream, there was Eric Clapton in The Yardbirds. Before Jeff Beck in the Jeff Beck Group, there was Jeff Beck in The Yardbirds. Before Jimmy Page in Led Zeppelin, there was Jimmy Page in The Yardbirds. Everyone already knows all of this. Given the incredibly famous/talented fusion, you would imagine that The Yardbirds would have to be exceptional. Which they are. Candor is important when you're talking about a band with some of rocks most dominant guitarists..

MP3: What Do You Want - The Yardbirds (YSI)
MP3: I Ain't Done Wrong - The Yardbirds (YSI)
MP3: For Your Love - The Yardbirds (YSI)
MP3: He's Always There - The Yardbirds (YSI)



A little bit of Janis since I'm bringing up the mid-60's. Even though she sort of reached her career high in the early to mid 70s. Also, just because I feel like putting these up I'm going to. Here you go:

MP3: Little Girl Blue - Janis Joplin (YSI)
MP3: Piece Of My Heart - Janis Joplin (YSI)
MP3: Down On Me - Janis Joplin (YSI)



A little bit of obscure 60's/70s. I always thought of the Pebbles and Nuggets volumes as amazing because none of the songs ever make any sense worth considering. Not that the songs aren't good, they are, the lyrics are just crazy. About 500x's more confusing than I Am The Walrus. Although If I were on something I'm sure I could create some kind of relevent meaning.. then again, maybe not.

MP3: Swami - William Penn V (YSI)
MP3: Anxious Color - Painted Faces (YSI)
MP3: Like A Dribbling Fram - Race Marbles (YSI)


I read a book a while ago titledWhite Bicycles by Joe Boyd, I'm sure I mentioned this to you already. Boyd once ran a club in the UK, and he mentions in his book a band that played at his club a number of times called the Soft Machine. (also a Burroughs book.. if you're into Burroughs any.. the book is what the band is actually named after. Amazing really how many bands are named after books) There's not much of any vocals on Bundles, the album which the following tracks are from. There are some decent guitar riffs. I imagine the Soft Machine's earlier stuff (early 60s) has to have more substance to it. Will post on that once I get into it.. They supporeted Pink Floyd at Joe's club. Go read about it..

MP3: Hazard Profile, Pt. 2 - Soft Machine (YSI)

That's it.
I'd still reccomend checking out the post I put up the day before yesterday. Flashing Lights Lights Lights Lights. Damn that song for being stuck in my head. All the goddamn time.

Actually one more :

MP3: Let's Take A Trip - Godfrey (YSI)

No, wait, maybe just three more, a little Hendrix:
MP3: Electric Church Red House - Jimi Hendrix (YSI)

a little Zombies:
MP3: I Want Her She Wants Me - The Zombies (YSI)

a little more Zombies, and a nice song to dissappear with.
MP3: Leave Me Be - The Zombies (YSI)

-D

4 Comments:

Blogger Pedro said...

The Yardbirds!!!!!

Brilliant.

6:31 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

soft machine, nuggets, your crazy. i enjoy it

11:18 AM

 
Blogger Maurice van Es said...

You really love music.

Thanks for sharing this!

12:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great list... but 'for your love' link broken for me.

1:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home